Saturday, February 5, 2011

Westchester Weekends: Chappaqua Farmers Market

Happy Saturday!  

Today we were finally able visit one of Westchester's Farmers Markets.  We're always trying to find ways to integrate local products into our menu, so what a better way then to go straight to the source: the farmers.  We've been wanting to check out some local Farmers Markets for quite some time, but most of them pack it in for the winter and don't start up again until early Spring.  We recently heard of one that is held year round, rain or shine, on Saturdays in Chappaqua.  I was all over it.   This morning I slipped into my rain boots, pulled out the umbrella and headed up to check it out.  The best part?  It was all inside!  No rain boots needed after all.

Fresh local cheeses graced the tables, straight from the farm.  The farmer herself told me all about the beneficial probiotics in each cheese they produce.  It sounded wonderful.  Well, as wonderful as 'probiotics' can sound I suppose, but she assured me they were a good thing.  Then, as if she read my mind, she asked me to sample every cheese on the table.  Asked me!  Um.. yes please.  After my first bite I quickly realized that a sample was not going to be enough.  I think would have bought every single one if I didn't feel the looks coming on from the other customers...  

One cheese would do for now.  Moonlight Chaource.  Almost like Brie only with a richer and sharper flavor.

Since Bill had to stay back at the shop, he sent me on a mission to find out all about the meats.  And find out I did.  All organic, straight from the farm and unbelievably fresh.  Maybe not anytime soon, but we hope to carry some of these at Melt in the future. 

And the mushrooms?! Ohhh the mushrooms.  Give me a little olive oil and butter and I could have had myself a meal right there. 

As I was walking in there were quite a few people leaving with bags full of the leafiest veggies I'd ever seen.  Didn't take me long to find the source.


Oh. Yes. Yes. Yes... Desserts.  I bought two. They are both for me. Sorry Bill.

The indoor market will continue every Saturday through April.

Chappaqua Farmers Market
Every Saturday, 9am to 1pm 
191 South Greely Ave 
Chappaqua, NY (inside St. Mary's Church)

Definitely check it out!

Eat well!
Melt

1 comment:

  1. So glad you liked the market. We do too!

    BTW, it's closed tomorrow (2/19) due to an event at the church - it'll be back up and running on 2/26. See you then?

    ReplyDelete

window.setTimeout(function() { document.body.className = document.body.className.replace('loading', ''); }, 10);