Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Our Table

Traditions.  In our family we have them pretty much accidentally.  These things that we've done year after year just sort of happened and became things we stuck to.  Most of them started long ago, probably longer than I can even date back to.  Without question, the most important tradition in our family is Christmas Eve dinner.

Every year on this night we sit around the table for Alici Spaghetti.  Yes, Alici, pronounced 'A-leech', is anchovy pasta.  Eating this on Christmas Eve dates back as far as I can remember, as far as my father can remember, and even as far as my 93 year old Grandmother can remember.  I always thought it was something everyone did.  Ya know, like turkey on Thanksgiving, or cake on your birthday.  Year after year we ate Alici with my grandma sitting in the same chair at the same table and we'd hear the same story.  Back one Christmas Eve, somewhere around 1965, she decided to make something different for a change. Switch it up a little bit.  Ravioli sounded good.  Harmless enough, and of course just as delicious.  My dad, however, thought differently.  He was 12, maybe 15, and as soon as he heard Alici would not be on the table, that was it.  He left.  Walked in the freezing cold to a friends house and didn't come back until after dinner was long over.  And although I'm sure it took a long time for my grandmother to forgive him, there was not a single year after that where my father has not eaten Alici on Christmas Eve.

It starts with the basic components.  Anchovies and Olive Oil.

Both go straight into the pan along with a whole bunch of fresh chopped parsley and a lot of garlic. And by a lot, I mean, a LOT.

It's then sauteed together with a fork to blend the anchovies.

This is my moms job.  Many have tried it, but no one can compare.

Then comes the pasta.  Four pounds and no less.  Leftovers are a must.

Dump on the sauce, mix well.  Very well. (We call in the big guns for this job)


And that's it!


 From our table to yours, we hope you had a wonderful holiday.

3 comments:

window.setTimeout(function() { document.body.className = document.body.className.replace('loading', ''); }, 10);